I love connections and want to bring value to people. Washington DC Small Business, Social Media, Technology, Communications, Marketing and Conversations with Shashi Bellamkonda Vice President Marketing at Leap | Marketing Leader Driving Business Growth & Customer Exp | Startup & SMB Advisor
Monday, April 17, 2023
AI generated summary of 60 minutes AI edition
Can bees be sentient?
According to a growing body of research, bees are sentient, self-aware and have emotional lives³. A study by Newcastle University researchers Melissa Bateson and Jeri Wright found that honeybee response "has more in common with that of vertebrates than previously thought" and "suggest that honeybees could be regarded as exhibiting emotions"¹. The study was published in Current Biology in June 2011¹.
An experiment where honey bees were shaken for 60 seconds to simulate a predatory attack found that the bees' equivalent of blood — called haemolymph — was lower in dopamine and serotonin after shaking, compared with bees that weren't shaken. Both dopamine and serotonin are involved in mood regulation in humans².
The research raises questions about how bees are used in the agricultural sector or in laboratory experiments, where they've traditionally been seen as little more than tools³.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 4/17/2023(1) New research: bees are sentient, self aware, are emotional | RNZ. https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/first-up/audio/2018886340/new-research-bees-are-sentient-self-aware-are-emotional Accessed 4/17/2023.
(2) Honeybees Might Have Emotions | WIRED. https://www.wired.com/2011/06/honeybee-pessimism/ Accessed 4/17/2023.
(3) Do insects, octopus and other invertebrates feel emotions ... - ABC. https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2022-04-02/invertebrates-octopus-bees-feelings-emotion-pain-joy-science/100947014 Accessed 4/17/2023.
(4) ‘Bees are sentient’: inside the stunning brains of nature’s hardest .... https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/02/bees-intelligence-minds-pollination Accessed 4/17/2023.
(5) New research deepens mystery about evolution of bees' social behavior. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/05/210526132133.htm Accessed 4/17/2023.
: Bateson, M., & Wright, G. A. (2011). Reversal learning and affective responses in honeybees (Apis mellifera). Current Biology, 21(6), 1-4.
: Perry, C. J., Baciadonna, L., & Chittka, L. (2016). Unexpected rewards induce dopamine-dependent positive emotion-like state changes in bumblebees. Science, 353(6307), 1529-1531.
: "New research: bees are sentient, self aware, are emotional". RNZ. Retrieved April 17, 2023.
Friday, April 07, 2023
AI may not exactly follow your instructions! But that is Ok.
I use the Bing Image Creator powered by Dall-E to give it this prompt.
I am sitting in a library and working on my laptop, The laptop is in front of me as I type. To my left is the laptop's power cord and below it is my phone that is charging. on my right is a mousepad with my mouse and in front of it is a water bottle that is made of steel and has a blue top. The table I am sitting on has 5 chairs all spread out across the table. On the chair next to me is my backpack. I am Indian and I am wearing a black jacket as it is a bit cold here.
Here are the images that I get back.
The additions in the image that I did not mention were - notebooks, blue chairs in the library, and the position of the mouse. The laptop bag is not on the chair.
- It got the place library right, books, bookshelves, chairs. It has enough data to recognize the visual components of the library
- Telling the AI that I am an Indian meant that I had to accept what the Ai thinks is a consolidation of what it has learned as photos of people from India. I did not say if I am a boy or a girl but the model may have information from my profile or not.
- Waterbottle is a no brainer
- The model has not learned what a "on the chair next to me is my laptop bag" There may not be many photos in the learning data about this scene
It sounds like you are working hard in the library. I hope you are finding it a quiet and productive place to work.
I can picture you sitting at a table with your laptop in front of you. To your left is the laptop's power cord, and below it is your phone that is charging. On your right is a mousepad with your mouse, and in front of it is a water bottle that is made of steel and has a blue top. The table you are sitting at has 5 chairs, all spread out across the table. On the chair next to you is your backpack. You are Indian, and you are wearing a black jacket as it is a bit cold here.
I hope you have a great day!
AI generated summary of 60 minutes AI edition
In a 60 Minutes interview that aired on April 17, 2023, Google CEO Sundar Pichai warned that artificial intelligence (AI) is advancing rapid...
More than a decade ago I arrived at a new job at Network Solutions that involved talking to customers and reported to a wonderful supe...
What an odd Norwegian show & quiet eating teaches us about consumers?