Flickr Photo by Stml
After 300 years Greenland will become independent from Denmark. A large number of voters turned up despite heavy snow and temperatures of minus 5 degrees Celsius (23 F). Its good news but Greenland has to find new sources of income to finally be independent of Denmark, Minerals and Ols maybe its path to total independence.
Green land is the world's largest island 2,166,086 sq km with 81% ice capped. According to AFP reports " In a referendum on November 25, Greenland's voters overwhelmingly approved a proposal on self-rule. The new status will take effect in June 2009.
"Education is the key to ... our independence," says Jonathan Motzfeldt, the father of the semi-autonomy status Greenland obtained in 1979 and who headed the local government for 17 years".
Interesting facts about Greenland:
- Capital: Nuuk
- Population : 56,000
- Size: 2,166,086 sq. Km 3 Times the size of Texas.
- Transport : no roads between towns, and travel is only possible by boats or planes,
- Economy : The economy remains critically dependent on exports of fish and a substantial subsidy from the Danish Government, which supplies about half of government revenues.
- The U.S. Air Force operates a ballistic missile early warning site at Thule air base, 700 miles (1,130 km) north of the Arctic Circle.
- language: Greenlandic (East Inuit), Danish, English
I did not see this info updated on Wikipedia
Post a Comment