Beth Harte PR 2.0 at Online Media Bootcamp
Beth Harte The Harte of Marketing kicked off the afternoon session with PR 2.0. here are some points from her talk and I have included tweets from theOMBC Twitter Stream
- You cannot control the message about your company on blogs or other social media channels. if you want to control the message buy an ad.
- Do not attempt to ghost blog for companies
- Understand how to work with people complaining about your company. They are empowered to give their opinion.
- First Step in PR 2.0 - Listen
- You may discover that there is not much of a conversation about you
- Listening Tools many of them do not give you a tone
- (Shashi's note) Go to the bottom of this page http://www.openamplify.com/Social_Matcbox_DC and just type negative text ( thanks @weinberg81)
- For research purposes monitor your competitors keywords too
- PR is the advocate for the customer and community
- @MackCollier: If the people you want to reach aren't on Twitter, why would you be there? Find out where your customers are & follow them #OMBC @bethharte
- You need a plan to engage with detractors, start a conversation
- @storyspinner: the average consumer doesn't know what a press release is, they see a name & number and they call you @bethharte #ombc (PR 2.0)
- @ConversationAge: @bethharte talks about making plans on the degree of involvement #ombc
- Become Social and take baby steps
- Move from press release to news release ( Introduction to Pitch Engine)
- Share pictures, videos, podcasts through press releases.
- Have a way to call the product experts
- Make elements of your news release shareable
- Make press releases SEo friendly and good reader experience
- Try using http://www.pitchengine.com/
- You can be social by making sure you use RSS feeds to send information
- What works for you and your company many be different from others so you may not have a definite model to follow
- storyspinner: RSS is spam free - if u don't like what someone's saying, turn it off. Journalists love RSS, don't have 2 wait 4 the wire! @bethharte #ombc
- Listen , engage, make sure it is really newsworthy,
Beth Harte runs Harte Marketing & Communications, and in adddition Beth speaks at industry conferences and event and serves as adjunct professor at Immaculata University where she’s taught Marketing in a Global Economy, Marketing Principles and Practices, Introduction to Public Relations, Writing for Public Relations & Social Media and Issues in E-Commerce. Beth will also be teaching Community, Government and Global Relations and Writing for PR & Social Media in the new Master’s in Applied Communication program.